Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, October 17, 2014

Five for Friday {October 13-17th}


fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]



This week was another fabulous week in first grade.   
 We have our Boosterthon Fun Run this week. This is a fundraiser we do every year at our school. I like it because it builds character and gets the kids outside to run laps. The kids get donations for laps, just like an adult 5k. So if you pledge to donate a $1 a lap and the student runs 35 laps, you will donate $35. The track is small so most of the kids do run 35 laps or more! They have fun laps for kids like skip a lap, walk with a friend, march a lap, etc. The teachers mark the students shirts to count their laps. The parents/PTA make sure the kids get enough water at the water station tent. It is one of the most fun events of year! It is so well organized and the kids LOVE it! Teachers also love it because it builds character and raises money for our school. We are buying new technology with money raise.


    We worked on writing acrostic poem this week. This is our shared writing from Tuesday. My kids had to help me write an acrostic poem using my name. Hehe! I love my kids! This was the poem:
Joyful
Exciting
Silly
Smart
Interesting
Caring
Awesome

I had my informal observation this week. I’m not sure how this works in other schools, districts, and states. At my school, anyone from the admin team can just pops in your room to observe you for about fifteen minutes. They are required to do two informal observations a year and one formal (planned) observation for most teachers. If you are a new teacher, you have four informal observations and two formal observations. I had one of our instructional coaches observe me for around fifteen minutes in my whole group reading block. We read our morning message, worked on phonemic awareness, phonics, sight words, and reading with fluency. I used my Smart Board that had interactive games and video clips. The observation went really well and my kids all behaved. I already received feedback on the observation too. Before she left the room she actually left me a nice note on a sticky with a piece of candy. Talk about thoughtful and encouraging after an observation. I think other administrators/observers need to take note. It can be super stressful to be observed!! I think observers needs to sandwich comments like we do for report cards (positive, what to work on, positive.) I’m so happy this one informal is done! One done….two more to go…probably more!



  

 I’m so excited to have a mini fall break next week! We are only working 3 days next week! I have to finish report cards before I leave on Wednesday. I get four-day weekend though and I’m going to the beach! We are going to Jupiter/Palm Beach for the weekend to see family and friends. I’m going to our cousin’s baby shower and I get to see a friend who is newly pregnant! I’m so happy for these ladies that will be wonderful mommies!


Now I'm off to a movie date with my man. We're going to see Gone Girl. I've read the book and can't wait to see the movie.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Gone Girl yet. It's in my To Read pile and I can't wait to read it. Congrats on the observation! They can be a bit unsettling. How sweet of your admin to give you immediate feedback with a treat. Enjoy your break!
    -Tracy
    4th Grade Dynamic Duo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Florida - it's still summer, and you're still able to enjoy the warm weather! Most importantly, you had a fabulous break!

    ReplyDelete