Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, August 29, 2014

Five for Friday { Second Week}





fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]







Divider 1
 This was quite the week! I was sick all week long. It started with a sore throat and then just got worse. I felt like I was hit with a pile of bricks. As you all know you can't take off the second week of school...the kids just aren't ready....so I stuck it out everyday. I had throat spray and plenty of over the counter meds to get to me through the day. Oooh was I tired though! Most days I came home at 4:30 and slept until 8, got up and ate, and went back to bed by 9:30. This weekend is going to be full of relaxation!  I can't wait to sleep in tomorrow!

Divider 2






My kids were really getting into the routine this week and our reading block in the morning was wonderful. My students were building their reading stamina and started using our reading computer program MyLexia. I even got to do some sight word assessments because they were doing so well! It makes me so happy to see them practicing their reading, falling in love with reading, and trying hard.

Divider 3







The afternoon was a hot mess though. My kids weren't really going with go math. I don't know if it's just that the math is too hard or they are done listening. I know they aren't very focused though so I need to get them up and moving with more cooperative learning. I tried using manipulatives, different colors for marking on their papers, smart board lessons, videos, etc... to hold their attention but most of the students were easily distracted or in another world. I will have to be more intentional when planning my math lessons for this class. 

Divider 4


Writing Work Stations-The Complete Set

We were all into labeling this week! We labeled a fisherman, chef, birthday girl, a boy, and our five senses. I've been using Writing Work Stations by Deedee Wills to teach my kids about labeling and work on writing in centers. I use the same writing paper for work on writing. The kids love the repetition of the same kind of paper: labeling, lists, cards, notes, and story writing paper. The themes change but the format stays the same. My first graders last year loved it! 

Divider 5



I found out that my principal will be my evaluator this year. Sometimes it is the assistant principal...I had him last year. I get two informal observations and one formal each year. My principal loves the use of white boards, differentiating, cooperative learning, and interactive notebooks in the classroom. I currently use all of these so I'm ready to go for any observation. I just started using interactive notebooks though and I'm loving the results. I used a comprehension graphic organizer this week. I use Teaching With Love and Laughter's Interactive Notebooks for Journeys. Next week I'm going to start math interactive notebooks. 


Hope you have an amazing long weekend with college football starting and Monday off! 
Go Knights! 

4 comments:

  1. It seems that afternoons are a "hot mess" for many of us these first several weeks. You are not alone. Get some rest. Hopefully you are healthy by Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one having a hard time in the afternoon. I will be sure to get plenty of rest! Thanks for stopping by to read!

      Delete
  2. So happy you are enjoying my interactive notebook activities! Thanks so very much for the shout out! Hope you are feeling better so you can enjoy the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Love your interactive notebooks and reading your blog!

      Delete