Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Classroom Update

Yesterday I went back into my classroom again for a half day just to get some more work done. The beginning of the school year is so busy and we never get time during our pre-planning to work in our rooms. We're just busy going to meeting after meeting and then staying late each night to try to get it all done. I think I've made a lot of progress so far.


This was kind of an ugly rolling cabinet and I didn't feel like painting it so I put this piece of fabric over it to make it look a bit nicer. It now hold my printer which has to be in this spot because of the plugs. Underneath holds computer paper and a bin full of stickers. The stickers are there right now because they fit, I didn't have a great spot for them, and they are at my fingertips if I leave them there.


This is a view of the front of the room. I was happy that I got up this bulletin board. I hate putting on the paper. I really just don't like it at all. It takes to long the paper crumbles...so annoying. I would put up fabric but our fire marshall would not let us do that. I also though of painting the board like I've seen some bloggers do. Someone did that last year without permission though and our principal was not very happy at all. So I'm sticking to butcher paper and dealing with it. I only have to do it once a year.
Do you see how much I still need to put up in the room!? My alphabet isn't even up yet!



I put new numbers on my book boxes for my students. Not too big of a deal but I like that the colors now match the room. If you wanted these adorable numbers like Tara from 4th Grade Frolics Facebook page. She is another Florida blogger and has amazing ideas.



This is my new calendar area. Last year I had my calendar on my whiteboard but since I got a SmartBoard it takes up too much whiteboard so I had to put it over on this bulletin board. I like it there because the math rotation chart is right next to it as well as my calendar supplies in the drawers and the daily schedule. 

I saw this idea in my teacher neighbors room and thought it would be useful. This is the back of my easel. I put big books over it so I didn't have to put them all leaning against the wall under the whiteboard. It is an easy storage place. Just put the back page over each rung of the easel. I couldn't place all of them on the back because I have too many and some of the books didn't fit. 

Another wonderful resource that I got from  4th Grade Frolics. This showing my understanding rubric is required in all classrooms in my school. Each number shows a different level of understanding 4 being the highest 1 not understanding. My kids have to show me their understanding of our Common Core goals in each lesson before, during, and after. They hold up their fingers according to where they feel their understanding of the goal is on the chart. 



This is my improved door sign from last year. I used to have my maiden name and first grade on it. Now I replaced it with an H which is the first initial in my new last name! 

I saw this idea on Pinterest (sorry I can't find the original webpage for this) and I thought it was super useful for teachers who have tile. To make sure you don't scrape the tile place felt with a rubber band tied around it. This can be used for anything on tile but I used it on my trapezoid writing table. Many people are required to use tennis ball under their chair to eliminate scraping and this is a much cheaper alternative. I pick up 2 large pieces of felt for a dollar at Hobby Lobby. 

I still have a lot to do on several to do lists! I still have so much to print, laminate, and cut for the first week of school. I need to label some new books. I need to organize my lesson plan, calendar, and curriculum for the year into binders. I still need to figure out a good place for a word wall in my room. Last year I had it under the whiteboard which I loved until the SmartBoard moved in and then the kids couldn't see all the words anymore. So I need to decide on a location in my room. The front bulletin board might be too small....don't know where else I could fit it though where the kids would really be able to use it. If you have any brilliant ideas let me know.

Well I'm off to Target to more bins, staples, ink, and lamination! Hope you're having a terrific Thursday!




4 comments:

  1. Where did you find the shelf to hold your reading book boxes? I really like that! Clever idea for your chairs on tile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got them from Lakeshore. I've had them for 4 years and they have held up really well. I've never had one break or bend and kids will put a lot of books in them. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Your room and blog are so cute! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete